Developed by Wedgwood in the 1770s, jasperware became so popular that other potteries began making their own versions. The Neoclassical imagery on bright colors appealed to both upper-and middle-class consumers. Copeland, who took ownership of the Spode manufactory from circa 1847, produced these tricolor jasperware candlesticks in the mid-19th century. The pair features a tan stoneware body with deep blue dipped jasper decoration. Each candlestick has a different scene sprigged in white relief: one with a scene of cupids in a landscape, the other a bucolic countryside scene with a man and woman, each with a dog.