The turn of the century saw a surge in revivalism across the arts and throughout the globe. The Wedgwood company was no exception. Beginning in 1903, pottery designer Alfred Powell implemented a training program for the factory’s painters (who were primarily women) that involved replicating Wedgwood’s original designs by hand. Powell saw the potential for these pieces’ retail success and thus introduced them to the market in 1907. James Powell & Sons, whose director was a cousin of Alfred, was the exclusive retailer of these revival wares, which saw great popularity. This egg server is decorated with an early Wedgwood creamware design depicting blue cornflowers and wheat stalks. The bow of the canoe features a satyr and the stern a swan’s head.